Sunday, September 18, 2011

The story behind the Public Works employee and truck being used to fix a private business's sign









Click on images to enlarge




Dear Fellow Residents,
I am a concerned 20+ year resident of the Village of Justice, IL. I am writing this letter because I witnessed and experienced a situation a few weeks ago that made me very uncomfortable with the governance of our community.

I was on my way home on August 22, 2011 when I saw a Village of Justice Public Works employee using a Public Works “bucket truck” to work on a large sign of a private business in the Village (Canterbury Inn, 8350 S. 88th Ave., Justice, Illinois). I couldn’t believe it when I saw Village equipment and personnel being used for non-Village business. This was happening just after I passed one of the entrance signs to our community that is being overgrown with weeds and where the grass has not been mowed in weeks.

I carry a digital camera in my car for work and managed to take 2 photos.

I have lived in the Village of Justice for over twenty years. Our Village, like many others is experiencing severe financial difficulties with a projected deficit of $500,000 for this year. To make matters worse the Village cannot borrow any more money as it has exhausted all of its borrowing power last year.

The Public Works Department is short handed and cannot keep up with all the necessary street, sewer, culvert and retention pond maintenance, etc. Rumor has it that because of the large budget shortfall two of the six Public Works employees may be laid off next month.

I attended the Village Board meeting that evening and questioned the Mayor and the Board about what I had witnessed. I told them that I understood that Public Works was understaffed and was having trouble keeping up with all their work, but couldn’t understand why the Village was doing sign maintenance (changing light bulbs inside the sign and putting up letters on the sign) for a private business using Village equipment and personnel.

Mayor Kris Wasowicz answered by first making a derogatory remark to me, “I didn’t know that election season had started already Mr. Koslowski.” I was very surprised that he said this in this public forum. I replied “Please correct me Mr. Mayor, I thought we lived in a Democracy where citizens are allowed to ask questions of their representatives when they see something that isn’t right.” The Mayor then explained that the use of Village employees and Village equipment to do work for private citizens or private businesses is something the Village does for some people and some businesses. The word "some" is very alarming. How does a community of 12,500 residents decide what services "some" receive versus what services others receive. Shouldn't every resident and business be treated equally? The Mayor said they are going to bill the Canterbury Inn for the work on the sign. I don’t believe for a minute that the Village was going to bill for this work until I caught them and brought the matter forward in a public forum. I asked if I could get a copy of the billing invoice and the check. I was told I would need to FOIA the information. I intend to follow up with the Clerk and FOIA the information.

As a side note: The Canterbury Inn has been used many times in the recent past for political events by the political parties of the current Village officials including “Friends of Kris Wasowicz” (the Mayor), Friends of Kathy Svoboda” (the Village Clerk), Coalition Party of Justice and the Village Voice Party.

I’m not sure if what I witnessed is something that you consider “newsworthy,” but it does appear to be an attempted abuse of the public trust and public funds.


Sincerely,
John Koslowski
Citizen – Village of Justice

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment. We only post serious comments and letters. Visit our Web Page at www.PeoplesVoiceParty.com to become involved or get more information.

Thank you,
The Peoples Voice Party Team